Entry Registration will be live August 1st
Registration close: Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:59 PM, PST.
Once you register and you log in, you will be able to add, view, edit, or delete your entries as well as indicate that you are willing to judge or steward.
BJCP Style Guidelines can be found at the following url www.bjcp.org/stylecenter.php
Earliest entry drop-off Friday, September 15th.
- Pacific Brewers Cup (PBC) is a BJCP-sanctioned homebrew competition open to all homebrewers.
- An entry is a set of two (2) bottles from a single batch of beer. The bottles must be between 10 to 34 oz, must be made of clear, green or brown glass, and be free from labels, excessive dirt and identifying marks. All bottles must be filled within an inch and a half of the top, and be capped with a metal crown cap or cork/cage. The caps must be plain colored, or be completely blacked out with a black permanent marker.
- An entry may not be fermented or bottled using commercial equipment. However, entries mashed at a commercial brewery and then modified and fermented at home (AKA monster brews) are allowed.
- An entrant is the one or more people submitting an entry. Member(s) of an entrant must have actively contributed to brewing, fermenting, and bottling an entry. Every member must be at least 21 years of age. An entrant may not be an entire brew club. Competition staff, judges and stewards are permitted to be entrants. Professional Brewers are permitted to be entrants as long as the entry was not brewed on commercial equipment
- The official style guidelines for this competition are the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines. Every entry must be declared a particular subcategory according to these guidelines. Under no circumstances will competition organizers, staff, or judges categorize entries.
- Only one entry per sub-style is allowed.
- Every entry must be submitted with a completed entry form and a bottle identification label attached to each bottle with a rubber band. Using glue or tape to secure the labels to the bottles will disqualify an entry. Entry forms and all bottle labels for a single entry must have the same information on them.
- The entry form must list the following information for entries in the categories specified:
- (this will be the standard 2015 BJCP special ingredients styles)
- Entries MUST be registered online via the form on the PBC web site at (Insert PBC link here to on-line registration here). Online registration eliminates the need to fill out a paper entry form and will automatically generate bottle identification labels. Email confirmation will be provided as well. In case the entrant is unable to print the custom labels, it is acceptable for the brewer to make individual slips with the same information, as long as the Registered Entry Number is included.
- The entry fee is $8.00 for each entry. Please use the link provided to pay on-line, You may pay by Credit Card or PayPal. Online payments make it quicker, easier to account for and makes the whole competition easier to run. If you do not have a pay-pal account, setting one up is quick and easy and you will see how much time it saves you compared to writing checks etc. once it is set up.
- A panel of at least two judges will judge each entry according to the sub-category in which it was entered. No judge will be assigned to a category for which they are entrants. First, second, and third prizes may be awarded in each sub-category at the judge’s discretion. All contestants will receive the score sheets with judges’ comments for their entries.
- All entries become the property of the Pacific Gravity Homebrewers Club and will not be returned. Any questions or disputes will be settled by the competition organizers, and all decisions are final.
Entries & Entry Window
Participants will be able to add their via this website between August 1st and Friday, September 15, 2017 at 10:59 pm PM, PST.
Entries will be accepted at drop-off and shipping locations between between September 1st and September 15th no later than the close of business Friday, September 15, 2017. Please check the closing time of the designated drop-off locations. . Please do NOT drop off entries early. Do NOT send entries to the main judging location.
All entries must be received by our shipping location or at a drop-off location by Friday, September 15th and will not be accepted after that date/time. Please allow for shipping time. For details, see the Entry Information page.
You can send an email to any of the following individuals via the Contact section.
- Carl Townsend – Competition Organizer
- Brian Holter – Head Judge
Tad Johnston — Webmaster
After registering and inputting entries, all participants must pay their entry fee(s) via PayPal
|1A Lite American Lager||1B Standard American Lager||1C Premium American Lager|
|1D Munich Helles||1E Dortmunder Export||2A German Pilsner (Pils)|
|2B Bohemian Pilsener||2C Classic American Pilsner||3A Vienna Lager|
|3B Oktoberfest/Marzen||4A Dark American Lager||4B Munich Dunkel|
|4C Schwarzbier||5A Maibock/Helles Bock||5B Traditional Bock|
|5C Doppelbock||5D Eisbock||6A Cream Ale|
|6B Blonde Ale||6C Kolsch||6D American Wheat or Rye Beer|
|7A Northern German Altbier||7B California Common Beer||7C Dusseldorf Altbier|
|8A Standard/Ordinary Bitter||8B Special/Best/Premium Bitter||8C Extra Special/Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)|
|9A Scottish Light 60/-||9B Scottish Heavy 70/-||9C Scottish Export 80/-|
|9D Irish Red Ale||9E Strong Scotch Ale||10A American Pale Ale|
|10B American Amber Ale||10C American Brown Ale||11A Mild|
|11B Southern English Brown Ale||11C Northern English Brown Ale||12A Brown Porter|
|12B Robust Porter||12C Baltic Porter||13A Dry Stout|
|13B Sweet Stout||13C Oatmeal Stout||13D Foreign Extra Stout|
|13E American Stout||13F Imperial Stout||14A English IPA|
|14B American IPA||14C Imperial IPA||15A Weizen/Weissbier|
|15B Dunkelweizen||15C Weizenbock||15D Roggenbier (German Rye Beer)|
|16A Witbier||16B Belgian Pale Ale||16C Saison|
|16D Biere de Garde||16E Belgian Specialty Ale||17A Berliner Weisse|
|17B Flanders Red Ale||17C Flanders Brown Ale/Oud Bruin||17D Straight (Unblended) Lambic|
|17E Gueuze||17F Fruit Lambic||18A Belgian Blond Ale|
|18B Belgian Dubbel||18C Belgian Tripel||18D Belgian Golden Strong Ale|
|18E Belgian Dark Strong Ale||19A Old Ale||19B English Barleywine|
|19C American Barleywine||20A Fruit Beer||21A Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer|
|21B Christmas/Winter Specialty Spiced Beer||22A Classic Rauchbier||22B Other Smoked Beer|
|22C Wood-Aged Beer||23A Specialty Beer||24A Dry Mead|
|24B Semi-Sweet Mead||24C Sweet Mead||25A Cyser|
|25B Pyment||25C Other Fruit Melomel||26A Metheglin|
|26B Braggot||26C Open Category Mead||27A Common Cider|
|27B English Cider||27C French Cider||27D Common Perry|
|27E Traditional Perry||28A New England Cider||28B Fruit Cider|
|28C Applewine||28D Other Specialty Cider or Perry|
Bottle Acceptance Rules
Each entry will consist of two (2) 12-ounce capped bottles or corked bottles that are void of all identifying information, including labels and embossing. Printed caps are allowed, but must be blacked out completely.
12oz brown glass bottles are preferred; however, green and clear glass will be accepted. Swing top bottles will likewise be accepted as well as corked bottles.
Bottles will not be returned to contest entrants.
Completed entry forms must be submitted with all entries, and can be printed directly from this website. Recipe sheets are optional except for listing of special ingredients and base style. Entry forms should be attached to bottles with a rubber band only; glue and/or tape are unacceptable.
Please fill out the entry forms completely. However, recipe forms are not needed. Be meticulous about noting any special ingredients that must be specified per the 2015 BJCP Style Guidelines. Failure to note such ingredients may impact the judges’ scoring of your entry.
Brewers are not limited to one entry in each category but may only enter each subcategory once.
Drop Off Locations
Culver City Home Brew Store
4234 Sepulveda Blvd, Culver City, CA 90230
*Send shippped entries to this address only
Eagle Rock Home Brewing Supply
4981 Eagle Rock Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90041
South Bay Brewing Supply Co.
1311 Post Ave Torrance, CA 90501
Steinfillers Fermentation Supply
4160 Norse Way, Long Beach, CA 90808
The Home Beer, Wine And Cheesemaking Shop
22836 VENTURA BLVD Unit 2, WOODLAND HILLS, CA 91364
The awards ceremony will take place once judging is completed.
Places will be awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place in each category/table.
The 1st place entry in each category will advance to the Best of Show (BOS) round with a single, overall Best of Show beer selected. A runner-up BOS and second runner-up BOS prizes will also be awarded.
Additional prizes may be awarded to those winners present at the awards ceremony at the discretion of the competition organizers.
Both score sheets and awards will be available for pick up that night after the ceremony concludes. Awards and score sheets not picked up will be mailed back to participants. Results will be posted to the competition web site after the ceremony concludes.
Judging Location and Date
Saturday, September 30th, 2017St Bede’s Episcopal Church 3590 Grand View Blvd Los Angeles, CA 90066-1904